Strumviews.com #2 Pick - Best Acoustic Guitars Under $1,000
Out of our top acoustic guitars under $1,000 category, this Breedlove Studio D25 SME came in very close to the our pick for the #1 Acoustic Guitar under $1,000 because I thought the SRT pickup in the Yamaha A3R is one of the best on the market right now.
The Breedlove Studio D25 SME is the Dreadnought that is built so well it "just keeps ringing" when strummed with open chords as one owner recently boasted. And, that is a great test for the craftsmanship and quality of tonewoods for any acoustic guitar. Strum an open G or E chord and listen to how long the soundbox (body) resonates and vibrates. Though that is not the only quality test for summing up an acoustic guitar's quality, it is a great start.
Other tests include "playability" and intonation while moving up the fretboard (does the guitar stay in tune when you chord and play up the neck and when you place a capo on the guitar). All 3 of the guitars picked in this top 3 review keep great intonation all along the fretboard, which equates to fine craftsmanship and excellent set-up before leaving the factory (set-up being the height of the strings as determined by the truss rod setting, the nut height and the saddle height).
This Breedlove Studio D25/SME (an Atlas series model) is ready for the studio, the road, the stage, or around the campfire with its resonant, dense woody-textured overtones and distinct lows, mids and highs. It boasts top of the line electronics with L.R. Baggs LR-T CV Tuner Preamp, which has been designed for meticulous and serious professional performers. It has a full 3-band EQ, presence tuner, phase switch, and an onboard chromatic tuner for quick-tuning on the fly for the most serious acoustic ear. This model is A+ in quality, and what you would expect from Kim Breedlove's award-winning design elements and craftsmanship. Not only is it distinctly and well-balanced, but is excellent for the studio (plugged in and miked), as well as live and unplugged.
Here are some of the Breedlove Studio D25 SME specs to compare:
- Solid Sitka Spruce top for the most responsive, highest strength to weight ratio top
- Dreadnought Body Style - the most common and most balanced projection in all 3 registers
- Nato Mahogany Sides and Back - Great sound like Eastern or Western Mahogany - not as deep or full as Rosewood
- Satin or Gloss finish - for moderate or high brilliance or "crispness" in projection
- Grover Chrome mini tuners - always reliable Grover tuners can't go wrong
- Rosewood fretboard for easy fingering and chording
- Full scale 25.5 inch fretboard
- Tusq nut and saddle material (synthetic but similar to bone or ivory for excellent vibration transfer)
- L.R. -T CV Tuner Preamp - Lloyd Baggs top of the line pickup and pre-amp